tundra and a blue lake with snow capped mountains in the distance

Autism funding and programs for 18+ in Nunavut

AIDE Canada
This toolkit inventories the autism-related funding, services and support provided by the provincial and territorial governments for individuals older than 18 in Nunavut.

Transitioning to adulthood is an important juncture that often presents challenges for autistic youth and adults. Yet it is a different experience for everyone.

As is the case for many government-funded services, once a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) reaches a certain age, the support available to them changes. In most Canadian provinces, children transition into the adult service program on their 18th birthday, some on their 19th birthday.

 Transition planning typically begins between the ages of 12 and 16 years old. Entering adulthood can be stressful, and needing to understand a brand new set of government-funded supports and services can be overwhelming.

 This page provides information about the government-funded services and supports available to adults living with ASD. It is organized by province and territory. We are hopeful that a robust understanding of what resources are available – in the transition period and beyond – is helpful to individuals and families.

Please note that the age at which a child becomes eligible for adult resources is different across the country. You will find one separate toolkit for each province and territory.



This page outlines government-funded supports and services available to adults (18 years or older) with autism living in Nunavut.

 In Nunavut, there is one main funding program available:


Income Assistance

Income Assistance administers a broad variety of programs of financial support to satisfy basic needs for shelter, food and clothing and to assist in the transition towards employment. Income Assistance includes benefit programs for people 18 and over, and their dependents.

The Basic Allowance amount depends on the zone in which an individual lives within Nunavut, ranging from $682 per month in Zone 1 (Arviat, Iqaluit and Rankin Inlet) to $782 per month in Zone 4 (Kungaaruk, Clyde River, etc.). The full breakdown of amounts can be found here.

Additional amounts are provided for room and board, accommodation, and utilities.


Steps to Apply:

1. The applicant needs to call the local Income Assistance Office to book an appointment. The Income Assistance Worker will identify needed documentation to bring. No application can be processed fully without the appropriate documentation.  

Contact your community Income Assistance Worker or your Family Services Regional Office to set up an appointment:

Qikiqtani:       867-473-2615           1-800-567-1514

Kivalliq:          867-645-5040           1-800-953-8516

Kitikmeot:      867-983-4032           1-800-661-0845

2. At the first appointment, the Income Assistance program is reviewed. The applicant may be directed to consult with a Career Development Officer or Inuit Organization pre-employment office if they are not currently employed.

3. Once the application is verified, the applicant meets with the Income Assistance Worker.

4. Eligible Basic Allowance benefits will be provided to the client via cheque to either the client or approved third party:

-     Rent is paid via a consolidated cheque to Local Housing Authorities for those in Nunavut Housing Corporation units.

-     Electricity is paid via a consolidated cheque to Qulliq Energy Corporation.


Photo by Isaac Demeester on Unsplash

Load more reviews
How helpful was this resource?
Comment by from