A sign in front of a blue and white building. The sign saws Winnipeg. There are green trees and bushes around the sign.

Autism funding and programs for 18+ in Manitoba

AIDE Canada
This toolkit inventories the autism-related funding, services and support provided by the provincial and territorial governments for individuals older than 18 in Manitoba.

Transitioning to adulthood is an important juncture that often presents challenges for autistic youth and adults. Yet it is a different experience for everyone.

As is the case for many government-funded services, once a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) reaches a certain age, the support available to them changes. In most Canadian provinces, children transition into the adult service program on their 18th birthday, some on their 19th birthday.

Transition planning typically begins between the ages of 12 and 16 years old. Entering adulthood can be stressful, and needing to understand a brand new set of government-funded supports and services can be overwhelming.

This page provides information about the government-funded services and supports available to adults living with ASD. It is organized by province and territory. We are hopeful that a robust understanding of what resources are available – in the transition period and beyond – is helpful to individuals and families.

Please note that the age at which a child becomes eligible for adult resources is different across the country. You will find one separate toolkit for each province and territory.



This page outlines government-funded supports and services available to adults (18 years or older) with autism living in the province of Manitoba.

 In Manitoba, there is one main funding program available.


Employment and Income Assistance For Persons with Disabilities 

The Employment and Income Assistance Program (EIA) provides financial help to Manitobans who have no other way to support themselves or their families. For people who are able to work, EIA helps them return to work by providing supports to employment. EIA recipients also get Rent Assist if they need help with their shelter and utility costs.



To receive EIA, you must:

●      Live in Manitoba and be 18 years of age or older.

●      Have a mental or physical disability that is likely to last more than 90 days and this disability keeps you from earning enough money to pay for your (or your family’s) basic needs.

●      Be in financial need. (See below for more details.) 

You may be eligible for assistance if the total cost of your (or your family’s) monthly basic needs and shelter costs are more than your total financial resources. Your financial resources are based on your income and assets. 

For EIA, the cost of basic needs is based on:

●      the EIA basic allowance amount for the number of people in the family and their ages

●      the cost of some of your ongoing medical needs

●      Rent Assist is based on the cost of your shelter and utilities.


Income support

EIA and Rent Assist provide benefits to eligible Manitobans in different amounts, depending on their marital status and family situation.

EIA and Rent Assist provide benefits to help with the costs of things that are necessary for your health and well-being. You decide how to spend your total income on things like food, clothing, personal needs, household supplies and shelter.

Rent Assist may also pay actual costs for your utilities (water, hydro and heating), if they are not already included in your rent.

EIA also provides a benefit to help with the cost of living with a disability in the community (Income Assistance for Persons with Disabilities).

-      As of July 1, 2018, the total monthly tax-free income amount provided to one adult (without children) is $1,036. Rates for two adults, and for adults with children of different ages can be found here.


Photo by Brydon McCluskey on Unsplash



Load more reviews
How helpful was this resource?
Comment by from